I made these for family dinner night
Ingredients for base:
Homemade traditional pizza base – 35 X 25cm (10in) across
350g (12oz) strong plain flour, 15g (1/2oz) fresh yeast or 1 tsp easy blend yeast, 200ml warm water, 1 tbsp olive oil, margarine to grease the baking tray
1. If you are using fresh yeast, mix with a little of the warm water. Leave it in a warm place until it goes frothy.
2. If you are using an easy blend yeast, open the packet, but don’t add any warm water now.
3. Use a sieve to sift the flour and salt. Add the oil, yeast mixture and the rest of the warm water, stir them well.
4. Carry on stirring the mixture until you get a soft dough which doesn’t stick to the sides of the bowl. Wash your hands.
5. Sprinkle flour into a clean dry work surface and knead the dough well until it is smooth and stretchy.
6. Dip a paper towel into some margarine and rub it inside a large bowl to grease it. Put the dough into the bowl.
7. Cover the bowl with a plastic food wrap. Put it in a warm place for about 45 mins or until it has risen to twice its size.
8. Turn your oven to gas Mark 7, 220 oC, 425 oF. Grease a baking tray or sheet with margarine. Rub it all over.
9. When the dough has risen, knead it again so that you burst all the large air bubbles in it. It won’t take very long.
Ingredients for Calzones:
250g (8oz) ricotta cheese, 75g (3oz) smoked ham, 100g (4oz) mozzarella cheese, 3 large tomatoes, olive oil
1. While the dough is rising, chop up the ingredients for the filling.
2. Cut the ham into small pieces, cut the tomatoes and mozzarella into small chunks.
3. Put both types of cheese and tomatoes and ham into a bowl and mix them well together.
4. When the dough has risen and you have kneaded it a second time, cut into 8 pieces and roll them into balls.
5. Sprinkle flour onto a work surface and roll out one of the balls to make a circle about 18 cm (7in) across.
6. Put a heaped tbsp of the mixture onto one half of the circle. Brush a little water around the edge.
7. Fold the dough over the mixture and pinch along the edges to seal the two halves or use a fork. Make seven more like this.
8. Grease a baking tray with margarine. Lift the calzones onto the tray. Brush them with olive oil and put them in the oven.
9. Bake the calzones for about 20-30 mins until they have puffed up and become golden brown.