Homemade Pastry Mince Pies
- 1 large jar mincemeat (about 600g)
- Some milk for brushing
For the pastry
- 375g plain flour
- 260g unsalted butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 large egg
- Place the flour and butter in a bowl and rub together to a crumb consistency. Add the sugar and the egg, and mix together. Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and fold until the pastry comes together, be careful not to over mix. Wrap the pastry in cling film and chill for 10 mins.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Roll out the pastry to 3mm thick. Using a round cutter (about 10cm), cut out 16 bases and place them into muffin trays. Put 11⁄2 tbsp mincemeat mixture into each. Brush the edge of each pie with a little milk. Re-roll out the pastry to cut 7cm lids and press them on top to seal. Glaze with the rest of the milk, then make a small cut in the tops.
- Bake mince pies for 15-20 mins until golden brown. Leave to cool before releasing them from the muffin trays. Serve.