Nut roast in pastry recipe
2 tbsp sunflower oil,
1 large onion chopped,
1 large garlic clove crushed, (or 1 heaped tsp garlic purée)
3 tsp dried sage,
1 can unsweetened chestnut purée
4-5 oz dairy free cheese such as Soya (I hate soya so I didn’t add any cheese),
3 tbsp chopped parsley (I don’t always bother with this),
2 eggs beaten,
Seasoning and almond milk (or another type of dairy free milk) to glaze,
pastry as per recipe below:
It’s just a touch more crumbly than normal, but nice and useable.
Makes: 1 8-inch pie case or about 24 little tarts
225g (8oz) gluten free white plain flour blend
112g (4oz) dairy free margarine or softened butter
2 tbsp Stevia sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons cold water, or as needed
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 20 mins | Extra: 15 mins, chilling
1. Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add in the fat.
2. Rub the fat into the flour (I like to use a pastry blender) until it looks like breadcrumbs.
3. Stir in the sugar and egg yolk.
4. Gradually add as little water as you can to get the pastry to form a dough.
5. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for about 15 minutes (more on hot days, less for very cold ones) before using according to your usual recipe.
You can use xanthan but it isn’t strictly necessary but does make the pastry easier to handle without breaking. The same for the chilling.
Pastry recipe with thanks from allrecipes.co.uk
Method for nut roast recipe
1 – Preheat the oven to 220 c/425 F/ Gas 7. Heat the oil, add the onion, garlic and sage and fry for 5 minutes until soft.
2 – Place chestnut purée, nuts, cheese (if you choose), parsley and onion mixture in a bowl. Stir well and add in the egg and seasoning until the mixture is combined.
3 – Roll out pastry and cut into equal sized squares, usually about 4 inches. Dampen the pastry edges, spoon in the filling and bring the edges up to meet at the top to form a triangular parcel. Press together to seal.
4 – Brush the triangles with milk or beaten egg and bake for 15-20 minutes in oven at 170 until the pastry is golden.