Red Lentil and Chickpea Patties
3/4 cup Red Lentils (sorted and rinsed)
13/4 cups Water
15 oz Chickpeas (drained rinsed)
3/4 lb Carrots (diced small)
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Coriander
1 cup Fresh Peas (frozen)
1/2 cup Fresh Parsley (chopped)
1 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
1 pinch Black Pepper
1/4 cup Bread Crumbs
1. Combine the lentils and the water in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. The lentils should lose their individual shape and cook into one mass. Cook them as dry as possible without sticking. Stir the cooked lentils with a spoon to break them up, and pour them into a medium bowl. Stir in the chickpeas.
2. Warm the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the carrots, and cook until the carrots are tender, about 3 minutes. Add the cumin, coriander, and peas, and cook until the peas are tender, 2 minutes. Stir the vegetables into the lentils along with the parsley, lemon juice, and pepper. Stir in the bread crumbs. Let the mixture sit for ten minutes, or until it is cool enough to handle.
3. Using your hands, form the lentils into 6 tight patties and place them on a plate. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until very firm, at least 30 minutes.
4. Warm a tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the burgers (they are a bit delicate so do not crowd pan). Saute until golden, about 2 minutes. Turn over and saute on other side until golden.
5. You can serve each burger in a pita with a sauce, topped with lettuce and tomatoes.
I adapted the recipe from the Yummly website thanks to this site.