Spinach Bake served with fresh homegrown salad
175g Brown Basmati Rice
500mg Vegetable Stock
55g Pine Nuts
Butter for greasing (I use a vegan butter)
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Large Onion, finely chopped
225g Fresh Spinach, chopped
1 tsp Fresh Thyme
You can you cheese grated on top but as I avoid dairy I find the soya substitute a little rancid, so its up to you.
- Put the rice and 500ml of warm water in a medium saucepan and leave to soak, covered, for 7 hours or overnight.
- Drain the rice, then return it to the pan and add the vegetable stock. Bring to the boil over a high heat, stir, then cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium. Put the pine nuts on a baking sheet and grill for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned, checking frequently to ensure they don’t burn. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6 and grease a 20 x 20cm baking dish with butter. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Remove from the heat.
- Put the eggs and spinach in a blender and blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the pine nuts, onion and thyme to the spinach mixture and mix well. Stir in the rice, then spoon the mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes until lightly browned. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then serve.
Tip: Refrigerate for up to 3 days, and reheat until piping hot before serving.
I adapted this recipe from Renée Elliott’s crunchy-topped cheesy bake