Gluten Free Fairy Cakes with Butter-cream Icing (This was before I went dairy free with the Endometriosis diet)
This was made using;
125g of Softened Butter
125g Caster Sugar
2 eggs lightly beaten
125g of Gluten Free Self Raising Flower (you can get this at many good shops I got mine from Sainsbury’s)
2 tbsp Milk
1. Preheat the oven to 190 oC/375F/Gas mark 5. Either butter the tin or place paper cases in the holes. In a mixing bowl beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. You can use an electric whisk or a wooden spoon.
2. Add the beaten egg a little at a time, whisking to incorporate, then beat in the vanilla.
3. Sift in half the flour and fold into the mixture. Add the milk and the rest of the flour and fold until well combined.
4. Spoon into the tin and bake for 12 minutes or until risen and golden on top.
Allow to cool for ten minutes on a rack before removing from the tin.
For the Butter-cream icing –
140g Butter softened
280g Icing sugar
1-2 tbsp Milk
A few drops of food colouring if you choose
1. Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add in half the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
2. Add the remaining icing sugar and one tablespoon of the milk, and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth, beat in the milk if necessary to loosen the mixture.
3. Stir in the food colouring until well combined (if you choose).
Butter-cream recipe courtesy of BBC food recipes