I got this recipe from a great Gluten Free Blog Gluten Free Goddess Recipes
Gluten Free, Dairy Free Creamy Penne Pasta with Zucchini – Totally safe for the Endometriosis diet and for vegans.
Preheat the Oven to 350 oC and lightly oil the bottom of a large casserole type dish and set aside.
12 ounces of gluten free penne pasta
1 medium Zucchini
1 Garlic clove, minced
Sprinkle dried dill or Italian herbs to taste
I tend not to use salt because I feel there is already too much put into foods.
For the sauce –
2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
2 tablespoons of Vegan Butter
4 tablespoons of Gluten Free Rice Flour
2 1/2 cups of Almond Milk (You can use any other milk if you wish such as Coconut Milk or Soy Milk)
1/4 of Gluten Free Yeast
1 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon of Sea Salt
1/2 teaspoon of Ground Nutmeg
1 teaspoon of Mild Rice Vinegar
You can add optional 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard but I don’t like anything that is even remotely spicy or hot because my digestion flares up and I would feel really ill.
For the topping –
Chopped Fresh Chives
1. Bring a large pot of water to the boil and partially cook the gluten free penne pasta, till just this side of al dente. You don’t want to cook it completely or you will end up with mushy pasta after you bake it.
2. Meanwhile wash, trim, and slice the zucchini into half moons. Heat a skillet over a medium heat and add a splash of olive oil. Add the zucchini and minced garlic, season with ground pepper, and a dash or two of dried dill and Italian herbs. Stir to coat, and quickly stir-fry, just until the zucchini is tender crisp. Don’t overcook it. It will continue to cook in the oven.
3. Start making the the creamy pasta sauce. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan and add the vegan butter. When the butter melts, add in the gluten free rice flour and stir with a whisk to a paste. Heat it through, stirring and cooking the paste for a minute. Slowly add in your milk of choice and whisk the milk with the paste to combine. Add in the yeast, garlic powder, nutmeg, rice vinegar, and mustard if using. Stir the sauce until it thickens and turn down the heat. If it gets too thick you can thin it with white wine or more milk you chose.
4. When the pasta is done, drain it well. Pour the cooked penne into a large casserole dish. Add in the zucchini. Pour the sauce in gently, very gently, combine the penne, zucchini and sauce until the penne is coated. Sprinkle the top with fresh chopped chives.
5. Cover the dish with foil. Bake the penne in the centre of a pre-heated oven for 20 mins, until heated through and bubbling.
Cook time: 35 mins
Serves about 6 people
You can find the original recipe from Gluten Free Goddess